Thursday, February 23, 2012

Unsocial Networking...

We have just entered the forty days and forty nights (or so) between Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday, the period better known as Lent. During this time practicing Christians observe rules of abstinence, fasting and generally doing without as a homage to Jesus' forty days in the desert.
Now, I'm not a practicing Christian. I know the stories, I find them interesting and so every year, at Lent, the Wife and I challenge each other to a penitence.
This year, for me Social Media lucked out. It is true to say I have become somewhat addicted over the last year or so to the likes of Twitter, Facebook, and Foursquare, whiling away the quiet hours at work with other peoples thoughts and opinions.
So like a good sport, yesterday I severed myself from the Social Network, like a drone cut from the collective now standing seemingly alone in the universe. I turned all alerts off on my phone, cleared the history from my browser and sent "goodbye" posts on TwitBook...
The rules are simple.  I am not allowed to use, access or post to Twitter, Facebook, Foursquare or any other social forum.  If people need to contact me or visa versa then it must be via Phone, Text or Mail.
The only exception is this blog, to share the experience of leaving the internet sensation behind!

No comments:

Post a Comment