Sunday, October 6, 2013

The first hurdle

So I did it.  I actually went for a run.  The wife even laughed when I said I was going, but go I did.  
I found a park at the top of town that has a nice circuited path, that is about half a mile long.  It's also far enough away from my house that the neighbours won't see me!
Anyway, I decided in order to break myself in, so to speak, to do a mix of walking and running (I've heard that's a good way to warm up and get started...)  Last thing I need is to collapse with chest pains and have to explain to my colleagues! So off I went, five minutes of walking then five of running etc etc.  Forty minutes later, quite frankly I'd had enough.  I was hot, thirsty and my legs hurt....I had though, run about 1.5miles in total! Yay me! Feeling rather chuffed I went home in a sickeningly good mood and had a cold shower (I've heard that's good for recovery?!).
In order to track my progress I thought I'd share with you some vital stats.  When you read the following, imagine it's being displayed with a rotating photo of myself, NFL Style...

So, I currently weigh, if I'm being kind to myself, 85kg., I'm 5'5 (and a half) and have a 36" waist, which means I have a BMI of 31.  So I'm overweight. This I knew. I eat too much.  I like food!
My Resting heart rate rate is 78 and my last blood pressure was 131/78. I "ran" a mile in 14 minutes (this isn't wholly accurate 'cos I like totally walked some of it!). I'm hoping that all these figure are going to drop.  Obviously not my height.  There is nothing I can do about that, I've made my peace there...

So, on Monday morning I'm going out again.  This time, I'm going to see how far I can run before I have to stop, just to set a bench mark there!  I'm hoping I can manage at least a mile.  I have some learning points from this week though.

1. Take water
2. Cycling to and from work the same day, means the next day I will hurt!
3. Cold showers are horrible!

Onwards and upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment