Sunday, January 15, 2012

An Eggceptable Subsitute?!

As you may know, I have chickens. Four little ladies that have been munching their way through what is left of my lawn and pooping on my decking (not a nautical term!).
Well, I had my first egg the other day. A momentous occasion really, and quite a lucky find seeing as it was tucked under some straw and mud on the floor of the run, a little cracked but intact.

I ate it. It was very good!

Since then I have been expectantly looking in the coop for more eggs. This morning I found one, smashed and leaking by the coop door. Clearly the girls hadn't sussed where the nest box was!
Mournfully I disposed of the destroyed egg. Normally one would purchase a fake egg or perhaps a golf ball and place it in a nest to encourage them to lay there, but I had another plan.
Now perhaps because I'm a genius, or more likely because I'm a cheapskate I decided to make my own! This resulted in me making scrambled eggs Heston Blumenthal style, carefully preserving the shells, filling them with flour and water, a bit of red poster paint for colour and then baking them.
This evening I lovingly made a couple of nests and placed my fake eggs in. Now to spend the next few days obsessively checking to see if they have fallen for it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment