Friday, November 4, 2011

Overtime Travels or An Introduction To Next Weeks Blog!

I do a lot of overtime.  Not excessive amounts but a lot.  This is mainly due to the fact that with two children and rising costs my basic salary doesn't stretch.as far as to have fun.  When I do overtime I like to sometimes venture out of the comfort of my own station and head into to the county, maybe catch up with some old  friends from my trainee year.
It was on one of these excursions I traveled deep into the middle of the county, where accents are thick and most jobs involve the need to negotiate livestock of some degree!  On my meal break, sat down in the deserted crew room (I guess they knew I was coming) I spied an old looking childrens hard back book on the table.  This book had become the basis for next weeks post.  The reason for it being next week shall become clearer.
The book was called "A day with an Ambulance Man" written by Jane Elizabeth Bowler and Christine Day, publshed in 1982 by Hodder Wayland and is one in a series of books for children about important people in society.  An interesting point to note is who they have featured.  Publicans, MPs, Fire Fighters, Hairdressers to name a few.
This book features an Ambulance Man from the former Sussex Ambulance Service.  I think his name was Colin, though I am most likely wrong.  The book starts by introducing us to "Colin" and about shift work.  We then follow him to work, meeting his crew mate.  The authors haven't brushed over a thing.  We watch the men do their VDI, even checking the oil.  We then accompany "Colin" and his Crewie "Roger" - again see previous disclaimer - on a routine transfer and a couple of emergencies including a fatal road accident and the ensuing paper work.  Then at the end of the shift we follow "Colin" home and meet the family.
The book is amazingly illustrated with photos depicting a wonderful insight into the 80's ambulance service now lost such as the old CF Ambulances.  Some old hats may feel I'm looking back through rose tinted glasses, but I don't care!  It's nostalgia from when the Ambulance Man was respected, wore smart uniform and had time to keep the chrome hubcaps clean!
The book had me intrigued and enraptured for my entire break, my tea even went cold.  There were so many similarities to now, the VDI,  the handover to sister, even the little hand gestures I have found myself using to indicate a red call (even that name hasn't changed in nearly 30 years!).  But it also high lighted the stark differences in todays' modern ambulance service.  The job titles, Paramedics after were devised in the 90's and only in the last decade have become a protected professional title.  The Uniforms, the vehicles, the staffing.  There wasn't a single female ambulance person in the book and the station officer only made a brief appearance to deliver a new great coat!  This book also inspired me.  Inspired me to write a modern equivalent, but in the form of the novice authors medium, the blog.  I thought about what constituted the modern ambulance service and how best to highlight key differences.  So I have chosen two shifts next week that I think will do that. Monday 0600 RRV and Tuesday 1400 Ambulance This time next week I shall publish it, with photos (where legally allowed).
In doing so I hope to give this wonderful little book a modern lift that can be enjoyed and maybe give younger people some information into a relatively mysterious service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment